Table Talk with Nicole Plue, Director of Pastry Arts at SF Cooking School |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Sloppy Joes à la Française
Healthy Open-Face Breakfast Sandwiches
Open Face Mexican Sloppy Joe's Over Cornbread
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 large or 1 small green green pepper diced
- 1 celery stalk diced fine
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes 14.5 oz, I use Mexican (if not available, plain is fine)
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 oz
- 3 oz tomato paste or just a couple of tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 teaspoons cumin (1 for the sloppy joe mix; and 1 for the cornbread mix)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (to taste) (1 for the sloppy joes; 1 for the cornbread)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 boxes of Jiffy Corn Bread mix or your favorite mix
- Eggs and milk according to box directions
- 1/4 cup diced green chilis
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese (1 cup for the cornbread; 1 cup for a garnish)
- Cumin, the remaining teaspoon
- 3 scallions diced for a garnish
Another comfort food. Open face sloppy Joes on a great slice of corn bread (with a few additions) and a side of coleslaw. It has a bit of a Mexican flare but still very mild. Yes I take advantage of the bagged cabbage and carrots for my slaw, but add my own twist with some black beans, avacado, a few green chilis, and a light citrus dressing. But still quick, but healthy and easy. This is a favorite.
I even make this with ground turkey which has less fat, but that is up to you. And I said my coleslaw has no mayo so it is much healthier but still has all the comforts of a warm simple meal.
I like to cook the sloppy joe’s on a Sunday when I have a little time and then I have it for the week ahead. Just make up the coleslaw, cornbread and heat up the sloppy joe’s and dinner is served.
- 1First is to prepare your vegetables. Chop your celery, pepper and onion. Then in a large deep pan, saute your vegetables in olive oil.
- 2After the vegetables are slightly soft 3-4 minutes, add the turkey and cook until brown. Break up the meat as it cooks.
- 3Add all the tomato ingredients, seasoning, herbs, sugar, worscestershire and cook for 30-40 minutes. The sauce will get nice and thick.
- 4Now make the corn bread as the Sloppy Joe’s cook. Make the corn bread according to directions, Add the green chilis, chili powder, cumin and cheese. Mix and put in a 9×9 square pan. I like to line mine with parchment paper so it doesn’t stick, but that is optional. Bake according to directions and until you can insert a knife in the center and it comes out clean.
- 5Let the cornbread slightly cool. Slice a nice size piece and then slice in half to make “like” an open sandwich. Top with the sloppy joe mix. Garnish with cheese and scallions. Serve with your Mexican coleslaw and you have a perfect dinner.