Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Smoky Cucumber, Tomato, and Onion Salad
Braised Lacinato Kale with Tomato and Anchovy...
Okra with Tomato and Cucumber
- 3/4 pound fresh okra
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 dried red chiles (whole)
- 1 onion, very finely diced
- 2 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 small cucumber, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon very finely chopped fresh ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Freshly grated coconut, to sprinkle
People are often nervous about cooking okra because of its slightly gluey texture, but it is simple to cook well, and once you have tried this tasty recipe, it is sure to become a regular dish in your repertoire.
- 1Slice the okra diagonally into 1/2-inch slices. Heat the oil in a large, nonstick frying pan; when hot, add the mustard seeds. As they begin to “pop,” add the dried red chiles and onion.
- 2Stir-fry and cook over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes until the onion has softened, and then stir in the tomatoes, cucumber, garlic, ginger, and turmeric. Stir-fry for another 3 to 4 minutes and then turn the heat to high and add the sliced okra. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes, season, and remove from heat.
- 3Sprinkle with the grated coconut and serve immediately.