Oat and Honey Vodka
Adapted from Blue Hill Stone Barns
When we saw oat-and-honey-infused vodka on the menu at Blue Hill at Stone Barns just north of New York, we were a bit dubious. One taste, however, and we had to have the recipe. Turns out it’s simple: Just infuse plain vodka with rolled oats and raw honey. Of course, Blue Hill uses Spirit of the Hudson vodka, distilled from apples, and honey from the farm’s own bees. We improvised with good-quality items that were easier to get our hands on, and, well, the results speak for themselves.
- 1 liter top-shelf vodka
- 3/4 cup raw honey
- 2 cups rolled oats, preferably organic (not instant)
- 1Combine all ingredients in a large glass jug with a screw-on cap or a nonreactive plastic container with a tightfitting lid. Seal the jug or container and shake well. Leave vodka in a cool place overnight.
- 2Refrigerate for 5 days, shaking the mixture vigorously about once a day.
- 3Strain mixture through a cheesecloth-lined fine-mesh strainer into a clean container. Keep refrigerated.
- 4Serve infused vodka on the rocks or blended with a little half-and-half to make a Quaker Shaker. Shake well before using.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved