Mushroom and Chile Tacos
These flavorful vegetarian tacos are filled with savory mushrooms, spicy poblano peppers, and sweet onions. A variety of garnishes make this a fun hands-on meal.
What to buy: Queso fresco is a mild white cheese that doesn’t melt when heated. It can be found in the refrigerated cheese case of most grocery stores or at specialty cheese shops or Latin markets.
Game plan: You’ll need to make the Pickled Jalapeños or Pickled Red Onions before you begin, if using.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 fresh poblano or pasilla chile, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 pound portobello mushrooms, cleaned and sliced into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1 medium Roma tomato, medium dice
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 8 (5-1/2-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 1 medium avocado, thinly sliced
- Pickled Jalapeños or Pickled Red Onions (see Game Plan note)
- Lime wedges
1Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add cumin and oregano and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chile, onion, garlic, and 1 teaspoon of the salt and cook until onion is tender, about 7 minutes.
2Add mushrooms and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned and tender, about 6 minutes.
3Remove the pan from heat and stir in tomato, cilantro, and lime juice. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Divide mixture among tortillas and serve with optional garnishes.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved