Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Meatloaf with Frizzle-Fried Onions (finalist Sodexo 2010 college food trends)
- 2.75 lbs of Beef, ground 80/20
- 2 oz Onions, yellow, Dice ¼″
- 3.5 oz Bread crumbs, (Whole wheat if preferred)
- 1/2 cup Eggs
- 1/3 cup Ketchup
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Cheese, Parmesan grated
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
Meatloaf is nationwide comfort food for college students. Frizzle-fried onions add a twist this popular campus dining fare.(search frizzle fried onions to see that recipe)
Serve with brown gravy, mashed potatoes, steamed corn and fried onions
Servings: 11 servings (4 oz each)
Temperature: Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- 1Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl and mix with paddle on low speed until blended. Do not over mix. Just enough to incorporate all ingredients.
- 2To prepare, lightly grease the bottom of the standard baking pan and line with parchment paper (cut or folded to fit).
- 3Chill meat mixture for 30 minutes and shape into loaves. Do not pack too much. Press only enough to make a well-shaped loaf with ends that do not taper so all slices will be about the same size. Smooth out top of loaf.
- 4Bake in a 325°F conventional (300°F. convention) oven for 1 to 1 ½ hours or until minimum internal temperature is 155°F.
- 5Remove from oven and let stand 15 to 20 minutes before slicing.
- 6Drain excess fat. Cut each loaf into 11 4-ounce slices.
- 7Garnish with crispy fried onions (search frizzle fried onions for recipe)