Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Black Pepper Martini
Martini Rules of Thumb
- 2 parts - Premium Gin or Vodka. Recommended: Hendrick's Gin or Grey Goose Vodka
- 1 part - Liqueur (any flavored liqueur)
- (optional) 1 part - Half and Half (for creamy martinis)
- (optional) 1 part - Simple Syrup. Recommended: 2:1 sugar:water - more sweetness in less volume
- (optional) 1part - Any other flavor (typically liqueur)
- (optional) Rimming ingredients - sugar, salt, etc.
These rules of thumb will help you create excellent and very popular martinis. This is not for the “traditional” set, but rather for the more modern take on martinis. Like mother sauces, these “bases” create a jumping off point for excellent modern martinis.
- 1To begin, chill glasses. Set out martini glasses, add a few ice cubes and cold water. This will create chilled glasses by the time the martinis are ready.
- 2Add a handful of ice to a martini shaker. Recommended (but not critical): shaved or chipped ice.
- 3Put in the liquor and liqueur. For a creamy martini, pour in the half and half. For a slightly sweet martini, pour in the simple syrup. For a creamy and sweet martini (most popular), pour in both. Add in any other liqueurs (1 part) to enhance the flavor profile.
- 4More times than not, the biggest hits (especially for the ladies and parties) are those that use both the half and half and simple syrup. They create extremely drinkable and addictive martinis. For example using the above approach, a creamy chocolate banana martini would be: 2 vodka, 1 creme de cacoa, 1 half and half, 1 simple syrup, 1 banana liqueur.
- 5Tip: if preparing in advance, mix all ingredients together and add in half and half separate. This way no separation occurs in the drink and you can keep the dairy cool and the liquor(s) warm prior to mixing if you please.
- 6Tip: Milk (or chocolate milk!) and can be substituted for half and half, creating a slightly less creamy profile.
- 7Once all ingredients are in shaker, shake vigorously for about 20-30 seconds. This breaks up any ice cubes into small chips, aerates the drink, and cools it effectively.
- 8Dump out the glass, rim if desired, and strain into glass. Leave about a thumb width of space between the top of the drink and the rim. This allows the drink to be transported much easier as well as distinguish the drink and rim (if applied). Enjoy!