Macroni and Cheese - no boiling needed
Inspired by the Moosewood Low-Fat cookbook, I have simplied a bit. To make it over the top, just add some bacon or salumi!
- 1 ounce (about a 1x1 cube) Parmesan cheese
1 slice of bread
- ½ a medium-large onion
4 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
1 carton 1% cottage cheese
1 ½ cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon dry mustard
pinch of cayenne
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ pound uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1Preheat the oven to 375oF. Prepare a 9-inch square baking pan with a light coating of oil.
- 2Grate parmesan cheese in food processor with blade. Tear bread in large chunks, add to cheese and process until bread is turned into medium crumbs. Pour into small bowl and set aside.
Using shredding disk, grate the cheddar cheese and onion. Place in large bowl
- 1Using blade, process the cottage cheese, buttermilk, and spices until smooth. Place in bowl with onion and cheddar cheese. Add macaroni to bowl and stir. Pour into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over top. Bake for about 45 minutes, until the toping is browned and the center is firm.
Member recipes are not tested by the Chowhound editorial team .
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved