Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Breakfast Toad in the Hole
Gubment Breakfast (inspired by the Reagan years)
- 1 slice of bacon
- 1 Small onion
- 1 Tbsp Government Flour
- 1Tbsp Water
- 1 cup Government Cheese (shredded)
- 2 Tbsp Government Butter
- 3 Eggs
What can I say? Poverty inspired this recipe. The Reagan years of government cheese, bread, can goods, etc. were some of the most challenging years of my young life. I’m a witness that “necessity is indeed the mother of invention” (W. Horman) and humility is the root of true gratitude.
- 1Dice and cook the slice of bacon until crispy.
- 2Mince the onion and sauté in the bacon fat.
- 3Add the flour to begin to make a sauce and add water as needed.
- 4Add the shredded government cheese. (Govt cheese was a strange “animal”, it did weird things depending on how you cooked it.)
- 5In the pot (because my sister only had one skillet), melt the pats of government butter.
- 6Beat the 3 eggs in a bowl, add to butter and scramble.
- 7Plate a serving of eggs with the cheese sauce on top.
- 8Enjoy the smile on the kids faces as they enjoy something OTHER THAN government cereal or government grits.
- 9For Lunch
Same ingredients, MINUS the scrambled eggs, ADD a baked potato for each child.
Fluff the baked potatoes, layer the cheese sauce in the potatoes, and sprinkle some dehydrated chives on top for aesthetics. LOL