- 1Combine all ingredients for the stock in a large stockpot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until chicken is fully cooked and meat is falling off the bone, about 1 hour.
- 2Remove chicken from the pot and set aside to cool; strain the stock, discarding the vegetables. When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove skin and shred the chicken into 1/2-inch-wide pieces. Discard skin and bones and reserve meat.
- 3Return the stock to the stockpot and add the fresh vegetables; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes. Return shredded chicken to the soup.
- 4Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add egg noodles and simmer until almost completely cooked, about 4 minutes; drain noodles.
- 5Add cooked noodles to the soup and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Beverage pairing: Gustave Lorentz Pinot Blanc Réserve, France. This wine is crisp, firm, and bright, making it a nice contrast to the soft, creamy noodles and gentle stock. In addition, its citrus- and apple-tinged fruit has a hint of spice, which will harmonize nicely with the gingered broth.