No Italian-American meal seems complete unless there’s a basket of garlic bread on the table. A simple mixture of butter, garlic, parsley, and salt is spread onto Italian or French bread, then the bread is baked until toasted and crispy. This comforting favorite is a classic companion to Spaghetti and Meatballs, but it would also be great alongside CHOW’s Chicken Parmesan Meatloaf Muffins.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 loaf Italian or French bread (about 1 pound), cut in half horizontally
- 1Heat the oven to 425°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Line a baking sheet with foil; set aside.
- 2Place the butter, garlic, parsley, and salt in a medium bowl and mash with the back of a spoon or a rubber spatula until smooth and combined.
- 3Place the bread cut-side up on the baking sheet. Spread the butter mixture in an even layer on the cut sides of the bread. Bake until the bread is golden brown on top, about 15 minutes.
- 4Remove the bread to a cutting board. Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve warm.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved