Fresh Tomato and Cheese Puff-Pastry Tart
CHOW Test Kitchen
Puff pastry is the base for this low-fuss tart. While the pastry cooks, make a simple syrupy glaze with balsamic vinegar and honey. Spread a tangy mixture of ricotta and goat cheese over the buttery pastry and top with fresh summer cherry and grape tomatoes. Drizzle on the glaze and serve this elegant tart as a first course or with a salad for a light summer lunch.
This recipe was featured as part of our Tomatoes! photo gallery.
- 1 (14- to 16-ounce package) frozen puff pastry, thawed according to the package directions
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons goat cheese
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound grape and cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1Heat the oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- 2Cut the puff pastry into 6 (4-inch) squares and place on the prepared baking sheet. Brush with a thin coating of the egg and bake until golden and puffed, about 20 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, bring the balsamic vinegar and honey to a simmer over medium heat in a small saucepan. Cook until reduced and syrupy, about 3 to 5 minutes; set aside.
- 4Place the ricotta and goat cheese in a medium bowl, season with salt and pepper, and mix until evenly combined. Divide mixture evenly amongst the puff pastry squares and spread into an even layer. Divide the tomatoes over the cheese and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with the vinegar reduction, and serve.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved