Table Talk with Nicole Plue, Director of Pastry Arts at SF Cooking School |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Black Sesame and Mustard Popcorn
Parmigiano–Black Pepper Popcorn
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, more if you like
- About 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 cup popcorn kernels
- 2 tablespoons herbes de Provence
- Celery salt to taste
If you ever saw the movie The Gods Must Be Crazy, then you remember what strange things can happen when something from one culture suddenly falls from the sky into another. Popped corn, to us, is the snack of American movie theaters. But give a bag of kernels to a Frenchman …
- 1Melt the butter with the crushed garlic, ever so gently, in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat and set aside to infuse.
- 2Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the popcorn, tossing to coat. Cover, and shake the pan over high heat until all the corn has popped. Remove from the heat.
- 3Pluck the garlic gloves from the butter and pour over the popcorn. Toss.
- 4Add the herbes de Provence and plenty of celery salt. Toss again. Season with regular salt to taste, and serve.