A slaw can consist of anything that can be thinly sliced. In this case sweet apples, crisp fennel, and crunchy Belgian endive make a light salad that’s perfect served alongside rich fall or winter food.
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 heads Belgian endive, halved lengthwise, cored, and very thinly sliced (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 3 small fennel bulbs, halved lengthwise, cored, and very thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 large Fuji apple, halved lengthwise, cored, and very thinly sliced (about 2 1/2 cups)
1Whisk together shallot, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a large, nonreactive bowl. While constantly whisking, add oil by pouring in a thin stream down the side of the bowl. Whisk until all the oil is incorporated. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired.
2Add endive, fennel, and apple slices to the vinaigrette and toss to coat. Taste again and adjust the seasoning as desired. Serve.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved