Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Rice Krispies Treats Birthday Cake
Double Marshmallow Puffed Rice Treats
- 11 cups miniature marshmallows
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), plus extra for buttering the spatula and dish
- 8 cups puffed rice cereal, such as Rice Krispies
Despite what certain cereal ads may have you think, we stand by the belief that the best part of these treats is the marshmallows. So we added in way more, but to maintain the right texture, we folded some in at the end to keep them whole and the treats crunchy.
Game plan: The treats will last up to 3 days when covered and stored at room temperature.
This recipe was featured as part of our Back-to-School Bake Sale story.
- 1Coat the bottom of a metal spatula and a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with butter; set aside.
- 2Combine 8 cups of the marshmallows and the butter in a medium pot and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth, about 8 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat and stir in cereal until well coated. Add remaining 3 cups marshmallows and stir just until mixed. Immediately turn mixture into the prepared baking dish and use the buttered spatula to uniformly flatten.
- 4Let set up until room temperature and firm, about 45 minutes. Cut into 15 (2-1/2-inch-by-2-1/2-inch) squares and serve.