Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Roasted Butternut Squash Panzanella
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Curried butternut squash soup for 6
- 2 medium size butternut squash
- 1 plump yellow pepper
- 1 quart low sodium vegetable stock
- 2 stalks of celery chopped fine
- 1 large fresh carrot, cut in about 1 inch
- 2 tablespoons of Bombay yellow curry
- 3 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 shallots chopped fine
- 1 large white onion chopped fine
- 2 cups of cream
- 6 slices of bacon fried crisp, broken into bits
- 3 serrano peppers
- fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon of roasted garlic
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 2 teaspoons of black pepper
Delicious autum soup. Spicy, not for the faint of heart. Recipe is great with homemade gruyere crackers rolled in poppyseed. Looks spectacular in white dishes.
- 1Cut butternut in half, take out the seeds. Slice yellow pepper in thick slices.
- 2Have oven set at 375 F
- 3Oil each half of butternut squash with olive oil. Place in a pyrex dish face down along with the sliced yellow pepper. Add about 1 1/2 cup of water in the fish. Cover with foil. Bake for about 1 hour or until squash is soft.
- 4While squash is cooked, fry bacon. Set aside. Remove bacon fat from pan. Add a bit of olive oil to pan, fry chopped serrano peppers. Remove from pan and set aside..
- 5In a large casserole add 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and curry, Fry curry for about a minute making sure it doesn’t burn.
- 6Add vegetables to casserole, chopped celery, carrot, shallots and onions and cook for about 5 minutes. Make sure vegies don’t burn. Once done set aside.
- 7Once the squash and yellow pepper is cooked, scoop out the squash and add to casserole with the yellow pepper.
- 8Add vegetable broth. Cook on simmer for about an hour.
- 9Add cream and simmer until everything is heated through.
- 10Remove casserole from stove. Put soup through the blender.
- 11Replace in casserole add salt and pepper and heat up again.
- 12To serve heat up bacon (cut in bits) and serrano peppers. Top soup with bacon and peppers.