Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Cranberry Pomegranate Smash
My Chipotle Cranberry Chutney
- 12 oz Cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 shallots
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 3 chipotle peppers (dried or in adobo - see note below)
- 1 TB oil
I wanted a cranberry sauce that wasn’t too sweet and packed some punch… so this is what I came up with after some experimenting.
It’s good with roast turkey or ham, but even better on leftover sandwiches…
- 1Cook the shallots in oil in a saucepan over medium heat until translucent. Garlic, ginger and peppers. Cook until just frangrant – one minute or so. Add the cranberries and all other ingredients. Simmer until the cranberries have broken down and it reaches the desired consistency (about 10 to 15 minutes).
- 2This sauce cans very well – just use normal canning techniques. If canned, it will keep for more than a year. Otherwise, it keeps well in the refrigerator for a long time (well through the Thanksgiving to Christmas holidays).
- 3(If using dried chipotles, toast them on a dry griddle until puffy and fragrant (don’t let them blacken). Chop finely. If using chipotles in adobo sauce, just chop the chiles finely.)