Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Mexican BBQ Chicken
Turkey Hash with Poached Eggs
A Chicken Hash with a Mexican Flare Topped with Soft Eggs
- 3 cups of diced chicken
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1/2 cup carrots diced
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 1/2 cups shredded potatoes (I use fresh ones from the deli to save time ... OK, you can shred your own but why not take advantage of a little help.
- 2 chipoltes diced fine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 eggs
Well, not sure if this is American or Mexican, it does have a little Mexican flare, and personally I like this for dinner, but any time for me.
One of my favorite comfort foods. Hearty rich, flavorful and a one skillet wonder. This is great to use with boneless skinless chicken breasts, but you could easily left over chicken for this.
- 1In a large oven proof saute pan. I love my cast iron for this. If using your cast iron, I like to season mine with a little oil first, otherwise just melt your butter and cook the cut up chicken until nice and brown. Remove and set to the side.
- 2Then add additional butter if required and saute the onion, celery, peppers green and red, carrots, salt and pepper. Cook 4-5 minutes, then add the potatoes and seasoning, chipoltes and herbs. Cook until heated and the potatoes are slightly browned. About 10-15 minutes.
- 3Add a little broth to give the dish some moisture as it cooks and stir occasionally. Once all the potatoes, vegetables and chicken are done, it will take about 20 minutes total cooking time. Remove from the stove.
- 4Add another 1/2 cup of broth and top with the cheese. Then use a glass to press 6 indentations in the hash. This is where the eggs will go. Break an egg into each indentation and top them with salt and pepper. Put in a 400 degree oven and bake until the eggs are considered soft cooked.