Brussels Sprouts and Lemon Risotto
By thinly slicing Brussels sprouts and sautéing them in oil with lemon juice and zest, the little cabbage known for turning kids into vegetable-haters softens into a sweet, slightly earthy side dish. Mix the sprouts with plumped dried figs and creamy risotto and your vegetable-haters will quickly come around.
This recipe was featured as part of our Healthy Risotto round-up.
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried figs, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, cored and very thinly sliced
- Finely grated zest of 1 medium lemon
- 3 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus more as needed
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus more as needed
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1Place the broth and water in a medium saucepan over low heat and keep at a very low simmer. Place the figs in a small heatproof bowl, add 1/2 cup of the broth, and stir to combine; set aside.
- 2In a large wide pot or Dutch oven, heat 1/4 cup of the oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and a large pinch each of salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add the rice and cook, stirring, until the kernels start to crackle, about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the wine and let simmer, stirring often, until all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 2 to 4 minutes. Pour a ladleful of the simmering broth over the rice. Let simmer, stirring constantly, until the rice absorbs the liquid. Continue adding the broth, stirring and letting it absorb, until the rice is al dente, about 20 to 30 minutes (you may not use up all of the broth). Taste as you go for doneness, seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
- 4Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the Brussels sprouts, season with salt, and stir to coat in the oil. Add the reserved fig-broth mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until the Brussels sprouts are wilted and the pan is almost dry, about 2 minutes. Add the lemon zest and 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice and stir to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Transfer to a medium heatproof bowl; set aside.
- 5When the rice is done, remove from heat, add the Brussels sprout–fig mixture and remaining 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and stir to combine. Add the Parmesan and parsley and stir to combine. Taste and season with more salt, pepper, Parmesan, and lemon juice as needed. Just before serving, loosen the risotto to the desired consistency with a little more broth or hot water and serve immediately. Drizzle each serving with olive oil.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved