Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Breakfast Queso Fundido
Chorizo Breakfast Burritos
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons Mexican-style hot sauce, such as Cholula or Tapatío
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 3 ounces tortilla chips (about 2 big handfuls)
- 1/3 cup salsa
- Guacamole, for serving (optional)
- Sour cream, for serving (optional)
Our breakfast nachos are basically a slacker ripoff of chilaquiles that delivers the same satisfaction of eating a pile-of-chips-covered-in-stuff without spending the time to craft a chile sauce or fry up leftover tortillas. If you find yourself with extra time, add some cooked Mexican chorizo and chop up some cilantro to sprinkle on top.
What to buy: We liked pinto beans in this dish because they were easy to mash and had a smooth consistency, but if you prefer black beans, they work, too.
This recipe was featured as part of our Easy Hot Breakfasts in 15 Minutes.
- 1Drain and rinse the beans. Place them in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the water and chili powder and season with salt. Stir to combine and smash about half of the beans with the back of a fork or a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until warmed through, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- 2Meanwhile, place the eggs in a medium bowl and beat with a fork until broken up. Add the hot sauce, season with a pinch each of salt and pepper, and beat to incorporate; set aside.
- 3Melt the butter in a medium nonstick frying pan over medium-low heat until foamy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Swirl the butter in the pan until the pan is evenly coated. Pour in the beaten eggs and let sit undisturbed until the eggs just start to set around the edges, about 2 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, push the eggs from the edges into the center. Let sit again for about 30 seconds, then repeat pushing the eggs from the edges into the center every 30 seconds until just set, about 1 1/2 minutes total. Remove the pan from the heat. Sprinkle the eggs with half of the cheese and stir to incorporate.
- 4Divide the chips between 2 large plates and top evenly with the warm beans. Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over the beans, spoon the eggs over top of the beans and cheese, and top with the salsa. Serve with guacamole and sour cream, if desired.