Bloody Mary Salt
To turn a Bloody Mary into a seasoned salt, we combined ground sun-dried tomatoes, Tabasco, Worcestershire, and celery seeds with kosher salt. The result is a tangy, savory seasoning that’s great for sprinkling on seared or grilled chicken or scrambled eggs. And of course it’s ideal for rimming Bloody Mary glasses.
Special equipment: You will need a coffee or spice grinder for this recipe.
What to buy: We used Diamond Crystal brand kosher salt for this recipe. The crystals of kosher salt vary across brands, so if you use another brand, be sure to measure by weight or else the ratio of flavors in the recipe will change. Diamond Crystal is available in most grocery stores.
Sun-dried tomatoes come packed dry or in oil and can be found at most grocery stores—in this recipe we used dry-packed. If you find the julienned variety, you don’t need to thinly slice them.
This recipe was featured as part of our DIY Flavored Salts project, as well as our DIY Holiday Gifts Advent Calendar.
- 1/2 ounce sun-dried tomatoes (dry packed, not in oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 cup kosher salt (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 1Heat the oven to 250°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- 2Very thinly slice the tomatoes and place them in a small bowl. Drizzle with the Tabasco and Worcestershire and toss with your hands to combine.
- 3Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet and spread into a single layer, leaving at least a 1/2-inch space between the slices. Bake until they are darkened in color and the surface feels dry to the touch, about 30 minutes. Place the baking sheet on a wire rack and let the tomatoes cool completely (they will crisp up as they cool).
- 4Transfer the tomatoes to a coffee or spice grinder and pulse into small, flaky bits no larger than a sesame seed, about 8 to 10 (1-second) pulses. Add the celery seeds and pulse once or twice to combine. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl, scraping out any bits stuck in the grinder.
- 5Add the salt to the bowl and whisk to combine. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 months.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved