Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Easy Quick Pickles
Beef Vegetable Soup - Quick & Easy
- 3 celery stalks - diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (80%-90%)
- 48 oz. can beef broth
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 lb. package frozen mixed vegetables for soup
- 1 Tbs. dried oregano
- 2 Tbs. fresh parsley - chopped
- Black pepper
- Grated parmesan cheese
Since most meat soups take several hours to cook, I put together this recipe which is so simple and quick to make. Now I always make sure I have the ingredients on hand in the pantry and fridge to make this soup at a moment’s notice. Its liquid base is a 48 ounce can beef broth, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes. It makes a large pot of soup and leftovers can be kept refrigerator for several days. It takes 45 minutes to an hour from start to finish. Stay warm and enjoy a nice bowl of hot soup!
- 1Coat the bottom of a soup pot with olive oil ( 1Tbs.) and heat on medium heat.
- 2Add chopped celery, carrots, and onion, and saute for 5-7 minutes.
- 3Add salt and pepper.
- 4Add the ground beek and saute until brown. Drain any accumulated fat.
- 5Add the mince garlic and stir thoroughly.
- 6Pour in the beef broth, diced tomatoes, parsley, oregano, and tomato sauce. Let mixture come to a boil; reduce heat to low and cook until vegetables are slightly tender (20 minutes).
- 7Add the bag of frozen vegetables. Continue cooking until all vegetables are tender (15-20 minutes).
- 8Check seasonings and add more salt, black pepper, and oregano if needed.
- 9Serve hot in soup bowls or large mugs. Top with grated parmesan cheese, if desired.