Table Talk with Michael Pollan of The Omnivore’s Dilemma Tenth Anniversary Edition |
Ask Your Questions Now ›
Chocolate-Dipped Rocky Road Ice Cream Bars
Marzipan Caramel Apples with Sesame and Almond...
Baked Apples with Almonds, Mascarpone, and Honey
- 6 baking apples
- 3 tbsp pistachio nuts
- 3 tbsp finely chopped almonds
- 3 tbsp finely chopped filberts
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 lb mascarpone
- 3 tbsp honey
This simple dessert sings with flavor and complexity from the combination of floral apples, sweet honey, and assorted pistachios, almonds, and filberts (a.k.a. hazelnuts).
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F. Combine the mascarpone with the honey, leaving ripples of honey in the creamy mixture.
- 2Core the apples and fill the cavity with the filberts, almonds, and pistachio nuts.
- 3Top with a knob of butter and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- 4Serve without delay, as otherwise the apples deflate. Scrape out the bottom of the dish well, spooning the caramelized juice and butter mixture over the apples. Serve with the mascarpone and honey cream.
Beverage pairing: Fèlsina Vin Santo, Italy. A simple, clearly flavored dessert like roasted apples and nuts needs something classic and elemental to show it off. Vin Santo, a wine made with the ancient process of drying grapes on straw mats to concentrate the sugar, is just such a wine. Its flavors lean towards dried stone fruit, making it a nice enhancement for the apples but with a shade of difference.