Truth is, we can't wait to introduce our young children to one of our favourite cities. But with a pair of kids under 4, this will be a very different chow-trip for us. Our kids are tremendous eaters - they love just about everything from fried calamari with tzatziki to dim sum and dumplings with sweet chili sauce (and of course, cupcakes and ice cream!). I'm trying to compile a handy list of good chow options in the few neighbourhoods we're planning to be in - I'd appreciate your feedback on my current short-lists as well as answers to a few specific questions.
1) UWS - in and around the Children's Museum and the park - thinking of Barney Greengrass for brekkie (don't want to line up - will it be crazy at 9:00 on a Sunday morning? Better for a weekday?) and maybe Shake Shack or Kefi or EJ's Luncheonette for lunch. If we want a great americano - Joe The Art of Coffee? Others?
2) Central Park South and lower part of UES (by the zoo, carriage rides, pond, etc.) - Sarabeth or Landmarc for brekkie. Lunch/picnic ideas?
3) Union Square - in and around the new playground - City Bakery (breakfast or lunch), Cupcake Cafe in Books of Wonder (sounds like maybe not the best cupcakes but cute spot for kids?), Petite Abeille. Haven't been to the greenmarket in a while - anything fun for little kids or mostly just produce vendors? Others? Best espresso nearby?
4) Rockefeller Plaza - anywhere within a few blocks where we can grab a good grilled cheese or sandwich? Or a great street vendor?
5) A special kids treat - I remember Serendipity from when I was a kid. Is the frozen hot chocolate still a fun treat? Does La Maison du Chocolat have anything great? Peanut Butter & Co? In a perfect world, we'd find a place where we could enjoy a great coffee while kids go googly eyed over a special treat (maybe an Abraco + Butter Lane combo?). Ideally this would be in one of the areas above but we'd consider making a special trip for this.
6) Ordering in - we're going to plan to have at least one dinner at our hotel (Park and 61st). Looking for places with good food that travels who will deliver to our hotel for about 6 - Sip Sak or other Turkish? Wa Jeal? Cafe Evergreen? Beyoglu? Also, if we wanted to pick up a nice dinner to eat in our room after our kids go to sleep, could we do that from Park Avenue Autumn? Do you think it would be a waste? Other options?
7) Great coffee near Park and 61st - this is key!!! - anywhere within a few blocks where we can get a great americano?
Other places on my list, if we find ourselves nearby - Via Quadronno (a personal fave - kid-friendly first thing in the morning?), Smac or Macbar, Keste or Motorino, Third Rail.
Lots of questions, I know - thanks!!!
200 E 81st St, New York, NY 10028
541 Amsterdam Ave, New York, NY 10024
25 E 73rd St, New York, NY 10021
3 W 18th St, New York, NY 10011
La Maison du Chocolat
30 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY 10020
Park Avenue Cafe
100 E 63rd St, New York, NY 10021
505 Columbus Avenue, New York, NY 10024
928 2nd Ave, New York, NY 10022
86 E 7th St, New York, NY 10003
179 West Broadway, New York, NY 10013
1271 3rd Ave, New York, NY 10021
1288 1st Ave, New York, NY 10021
123 E 7th St, New York, NY 10009
1588 2nd Ave, New York, NY 10028
349 E 12th St, New York, NY 10003
Updated 11 months ago | 8
Updated 2 years ago | 7
Updated 1 year ago | 2
Updated 1 year ago | 7
Updated 7 days ago | 9