- entries for 1,368 grape varieties (not counting synonyms)
- latest information, not available elsewhere
- some excellent graphics
- It's expensive: the list price is $175 and the cheapest price I found was $99 including shipping.
- The index doesn't boldface the main entries for "synonyms." It would have taken me five or ten minutes to find the Zinfandel entry if I hadn't read a review of the book that mentioned that it's listed as a synonym for Tribidrag.
- Genetically simliar grapes are listed in the same entry, even when clonal variations make them radically different (e.g. "Pinot" includes Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris, Pinot Blanc, etc.).
It's a great book, but I'm looking forward to the second edition.