Any suggestions for good places to try Guyanese Chow Mein or West Indian Chow Mein here in the GTA??? I have a traditional recipe here, but I'm too lazy to cook it myself! LOL
Chow Mein Classic Guyanese Recipe
1 lb fine egg noodles
1 lb pork
¼ lb raw ham or ham scraps
2 tbsp shee yow (soya sauce)
1 tsp Chinese spice
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 medium onions
½ lb cabbage
1 oz dried mushrooms, cut finely, if desired
20 - 30 bora beans
1 tbsp vetsin
* Cut the pork and ham into small pieces and season with shee yow, spice, salt and black pepper.
* Cut all the vegetables into very small pieces.
* Boil the noodles in salted water for 5 - 7 minutes, strain and pour cold water through to loosen the noodles.
* Beat the eggs. Make a thin omelette and shred into ¼ inch strips.
* Heat the oil and fry the meat until tender. Add all other vegetables and fry for about 5 minutes.
* Add the noodles and fry for a further 5 minutes. Add vetsin.
* Pile onto a dish, and garnish with stripped omelette, and sprinkle chopped eschallot.
Note: Chicken may be used instead of pork.
Recipe compliments of "A Taste of Guyana" - Dr. Odeen Ishmael.
1 lb chow mein noodles 1 lb chicken 1 tsp Chinese seasoning powder 2 tsp salt 1 tsp black pepper 2 eggs 2 tbsp oil for frying 2 medium onions, chipped ½ lb cabbage 1 parcel bora beans, cut finely 1 oz. dried mushrooms, chipped 4 cloves garlic, chopped Chopped shallot 1 tbsp soya sauce 1 tbsp vetsin
* Cut meat into small pieces and season with seasoning powder, soy sauce, salt and black pepper.
* Boil noodles in salted water for 5 to 7 minutes. Drain boiled noodles. Pour cold water through to loosen noodles.
* Beat eggs. Make a thin omelet and shred into quarter-inch strips.
* Heat oil and fry meat until tender. Add all vegetables and fry for about 5 minutes.
* Add noodles and fry for a further 5 minutes. Add vetsin and chopped garlic.
* Pile into dish. Garnish with stripped omelet, and sprinkle with chopped shallot.