This has happened to me twice unexpectedly recently--once when pouring cognac on some sauteeing mushrooms: the alcohol caught fire. I turned off the heat and let the alcohol burn off. Then again it happened when I was cooking sausages, I poked one with a fork and the grease caught on fire in the pan, but quickly self-extinguished. How does one keep this from happening when you don't want it to? And aside from the obvious-- don't add water to a grease fire --how do you get the flames quickly under control if it does happen?