I have been doing great on two of my New Year's resolutions this year- to eat at home more and out less and to simplify things! When I am doing good about cooking on a regular basis, I tend to make a grocery list, usually over the weekend or at the beginning of the week, and get enough groceries for the whole week. Lately, I've been trying to have at least one meal or components of a meal that I've previously frozen or a meal made with things from the pantry. I always build in one day where we eat leftovers too, since we are normally not good about doing that. I've also been trying to be realistic and build in at least one or two days where we have the option to eat out, so I don't feel so guilty when/ if we do. I'm curious what others try to do to simplify their week and what a typical week-long menu would look like for you. Here is our menu for the week.
- Black Bean, Corn, and Salsa Dip w/ chips
- Roasted Shrimp with Thousand Island Dressing
- Bacon-Wrapped Water Chestnuts
- those lil' smokies with grape jelly/ chili sauce (I was curious, couldn't help myself!)
(Okay, this day was not so typical, although we do have appetizers for dinner every once and awhile. We don't usually watch the Super Bowl, but didn't want to get cheated on the Super Bowl food, so we did the appetizers and a movie!)
- Mushroom Soup
- Grilled Cheese
- Roasted Asparagus
- Honey and Balsamic Pork Tenderloin
- Mushroom Ravioli (in the freezer)
- Veggie of some kind? (I might actually have to head to the store, because I think I only have frozen peas, and don't know if I can make those taste good enough to be a side by themselves!)
- Hamburgers (in the freezer)
- Sweet Potato Fries
This is where I ended for the week, usually I would go a bit further, but I might try to make a pantry meal on Friday. I know we're eating out on Saturday!
So, tell me about your typical routine!