After finding out the reason behind Torito's telephone disconnect was due to a change of number from 647 to 416 (961-7373 ) and not closing down. Our party of five headed downtown yesterday for a late night dinner. The place was packed and extremely noisy!
We had a bottle of very interesting Spanish Muscat/Gerwurtz., white and the following entree dishes:
- Piquillo peppers stuffed with salted cod and tapenade.
- Pan fried sardines with Romano beans, fennel, mint parsley salad.
- Merguez, crispy polenta and tomatoes.
- Crab croquettes with parsley aioli
- Roasted quail, pomegranate glaze squash
- Braise beef tongue and cheek
- Lamb loaf with currants and dried apricots in almond-saffron sauce
- Chilean tripe stew
- Roasted rack of lamb
For dessert, we all went for the Flan de chocolate.
Surprisingly and extremely rare, every one of the afore mentioned dishes was tasty and we did not have a single disappointment! Three 'consensus stand outs' were the Piquillo peppers , the tripe stew and the ever amazing tongue and cheek! This latter dish must have been on their menu 'forever'! We were not surprised because the aroma was simply mesmerizing, the meat folk tender and the sauce was so delicious, we have to order a plate of bread to mop it up. If ever they decide to remove it from their menu, it will surely be Toronto's loss!
Finally, an honorary mention to the Chocolate flan. A 'chocolate creme caramel' , this dessert was damnnnnnn good!!!
BTW, the original chef, Chef Carlos has left for Latin America. The kitchen is now run by the ex-sous, Chef Luis, who, IMO is doing a fine job, if not better than before!