rlm's post a couple days ago got me to thinking about what my favorite spots around Denver are. This is not my top 10 new restaurants, rather just my favorites of the year.
1. New Saigon- Is there anything thats not great at New Saigon? I love their soups, egg rolls and clams, but most of all I love the 10c (I don't even know the real name). The service sucks at best, and the space is not much better, but damn the food is so good!
2. Osteria Marco- All of Frank Bonnano's restaurants are great, but there is something I love about Osteria. If I could only eat one more thing before I die, it would quite possible be the cured meats and cheese board, All the meats and cheeses especially the burrata is exceptionally good as is everything else on the menu. Best of all, the place is pretty darn affordable.
3. Sushi Sasa- In my opinion Sushi Sasa is the undisputed King when it comes to sushi in Denver ( I do like Sushi Den as well). Again, everything at Sasa is great. I especially like the new style sashimi. It is quite spendy, but for sushi I guess I kind of want to pay the price for the freshest, best products available.
4. Shazz- Here is one place that is almost too pricey for what it is, but I can't deny the fact that every time I go there I leave very happy. The Braised Oxtail and cheesy grits appetizer might be my favorite app in denver. All of the pastas are great... you know what, its all very good. This restaurant wins my Hidden Gem award.
5. Stuebens- I just have to put this here be cause it's my "when all else fails" restaurant. Its not too pricey, the food is always solid and it's open late.
6. Rioja- This restaurant would make my list any year. Great food, great service and great atmosphere. My favorite is the tuna tartar/sashimi app, but I also agree with rlm that the Pork Belly app is superior.
7. Park Burger- This is one of Frank Bonnano's su chef's new burger joint. The sweet potato fries are very good, the fries are very good, but he Croque Monsieur burger rocks.
8. Masterpiece deli- My favorite sandwich shop in Denver. The white truffle egg salad is really good. I also really like the italian and the ham and cheese w/ thyme.
9. Jonesy's eat bar- The first couple time I went I was not blown away. However I live close by so I kept going for the beer. Now I really like it a lot. The goat cheese and balsamic reduction fries are my favorite in Denver. Last time I had some pulled pork sliders w/ blue cheese that ruled
10. Walnut Room- This is a quiet little bar on 31st and Walnut with a bar menu. But the pizza and salads are great. The reason I put this on my list is because it is so affordable. On Tuesday nights you get to flip for your food at happy hour. Meaning you order, the waitress flip a copin and if you are right all you have to do is tip. Plus all draft beers are half price between 5-7. Last time I went our whole table won the flip so our total bill was something like $20 for 4 of us.
Top 2 biggest disappointments
1. Root Down- There is something about this place that feels so pretentious. The space might be the best in Denver, but the food and service stinks. Ok it doesn't stink, but I cant say I have ever had a good meal there. And I have been a few times.
2. Olivea- see my reply in rlm's post- Denver Restaurants: A Few Ideas/Opinions
Feel free to list your favorites of 09.