First time poster. Thank you to the regulars who have provided such a wealth of information over the years, makes for some great reading.
May I have some opinions and suggestions about my upcoming trip.
Off to Japan on a 24 day family vacation for the first time, dividing our time equally between Tokyo, Izuhanto (Shuzenji ryokan) and Kyoto. I'll put my kyoto food itinerary in a separate post.
Possibly some day trips from Kyoto to Hiroshima/Nara etc.
I speak Japanese reasonably well though I am practically illiterate except for basic kanji.
Tokyo (actually staying in Shimokitazawa)
* Seika Kobayashi
* Kohaku (虎白)
I am joking about Gonpachi.
* Sushi Saito and Kyubey (久兵衛). And mid range Uoshin (Shimokitazawa)
I am most looking forward to a trip to Odawara with Japanese friends. Some nondescript 6000 yen per head hole in the wall Shyabu-shyabu/Sashimi place for Hirame, Maguro, Amaebi, Sazae, Ika, buri, Kinmedai.
I have only seen pictures, not sure what goes in the Shyabu-Shyabu and what's for sashimi :) I have also been promised some homemade Kamameshi.
That's all of my sushi budget, other than that sushi on the cheap:
* Standing only sushi: Sakaezushi,Taiyo, Tachizushi Aoi, Nihonbashi Nigi Nigi Ichi
* Kaiten: Kappa, Kura, Sujiro
* Jiro Honten
* Other than that, picking the top 3 on ramendb that are reasonably easy to get to
* Jindai-Ji, no particular place
* Shirube (Shimokita)
* Yakitori Shinka or Torishiki? Birdland? Friends have suggested some local places around Shimokita but they aren't particularly well reviewed.
Same friends insist that best tonkatsu is at Wako and best Udon/Sukiyaki at Mimiu Shibuya. Hmmm.
Izuhanto (Ryokan near Shuzenji):
* kaiseki at the ryokan
* Picking a taka ashi kani (long leg crab) place in Heda port at random. This looks promising: http://heda-marukichi.com/ryouri.html
* Numazu fish market