Party menu ideas needed!! We usually order pizza, but we (and our guests) are tired of the pizza party.
I did carnitas tacos a couple of years ago & it was a huge hit thanks to you Chowhounders! Guests were impressed & so was I. Looking for more ideas...
Here are some details about the party:
* I am a novice (and I do mean NOVICE) cook- so easy, fool proof dishes that don't take a lot of time to make. I'm thinking oven cooking might be easiest??
* We're having about 40-50 people to our house. About 30 adults, 20 kids: 9 months - 8 years old).
* I work & have 2 little ones so I don't have much time to prep & cook- just cleaning the house is a huge chore.
* This will be for my 2 year old's birthday, so we'll have cake, lunch and drinks. Starts at 11am so a few appetizers but focused on the entree.
* Prefer inexpensive without seeming cheap. Is that an oxymoron? Preferably not sandwiches since there isn't much "wow" factor- and I'm tired of sandwiches because we eat those a lot at home & so do our guests with little ones.
* It's summer so chili probably won't work - and kids don't like spicy & people will remember the pulled pork from last time (the only time I cooked for a party)
* Prefer to make it the day before & put it in the fridge to reheat in the oven
* We don't have cooking tools for large portions - a small crockpot, we can buy pan liners to cook in the oven.
* No nuts since we have a lot of nut allergies. This includes pesto, and in salads too.
* will probably have a salad, but the last time I brought a green salad to a party (cucumbers, tomatoes, craisins, & romaine lettuce) no one touched it! My husband thought it was because we got there late, but I have my doubts. They liked the orzo & kale salad (something different- most had never had it including me). Is orzo inexpensive, easy to make? Kale seems like a lot of work to prep?
I know it sounds like a tough order to fill but I welcome any and all suggestions even if they don't fit everything I wanted. Just my "wish list".