Two friends and I are visiting Houston for the first time (March 7-10) and I'm really excited! But I'm at a bit of a loss in trying to get my restaurant list together. Any suggestions are appreciated! Here's the essential information:
1. I've never been to Texas
2. I'm from Los Angeles and Sacramento so I'm familiar with west coast Mexican and our interpretation of Tex-Mex but I'm looking forward to trying the real deal.
3. I'm hoping to get some BBQ at some point but Tex-Mex is higher on my priority list (unless someone tells me it shouldn't be). A good steak house is something I'm also thinking about. Someone told me the beef quality in Texas is really superior to the stuff we get out in LA. Also burgers! We love a good burger.
4. The general areas we'll be in (but I'm willing to drive but not too far east) Generally, west of 59 and 288:
- IAH airport (of course)
- TC Jester Park
- Spring Valley / Hunters Creek Village
5. We'd prefer local, places with unique to Houston/Texas/Southwest dishes, would rather avoid fast food chains, and price wise I'm open to anything from taquerias to nice lunch/dinner places. And any "must haves". We're also pretty adventurous!
6. We have 3 breakfasts, two lunches, and one dinner that we need to find places for, (and we're always open to snacks, desserts and Ice cream)
7. I'm particularly interested in a good breakfast place though. (Either Tex-Mex or otherwise.) Especially for the first day since we arrive at 6 am and we'd like a somewhat relaxing breakfast (but a crazy scene is worth it for great food),
8. Here's what my limited research on the boards has said I should try (but I have no real concept of geography, I'd rather go to the almost best that's closer over the best and deal with traffic for too long)
Any other tips and thoughts are appreciated! Chowhounders are always the best tipsters! Thanks!
Updated 6 months ago | 5
Updated 1 year ago | 5
Updated 2 years ago | 2
Updated 6 months ago | 12
Updated 1 year ago | 2