This is just a sad rant after yet another disappointing Indian meal on the Westside.
I've now eaten at just about every Westside Indian restaurant. Every. Single. One. You name it, I've eaten at it.
As an Indian (born in Delhi) to be precise, but raised in the US, I've gotten accustomed to Americanized Indian food. Sometimes corners are cut. But the level they are cut here in Los Angeles is truly astounding. Examples:
- Samosa fillings that are bland, devoid of any spices. Just potato mush.
- Dals that are clearly the hodgepodge reheated combinations of yesterday's leftovers.
- Tandoori chicken that is dry, unflavored, or just a poor cut.
And FORGET about getting the following:
- Dahi papdi (Crispy wafers with yogurt, tamarind, spices, etc.)
- Pani puri (Crispy and puffed things that are dunked in spicy liquid.)
- Bhatture Cholle (Fried bread served with slow-cooked chick peas.)
I miss San Francisco (eating at divey Vik's in Berkeley or the Tenderloin's Shalimar or the Mission's Pakwan.) I even miss the chain restaurants (Chaat Cafe). Looking at the menu and pictures on this page makes me cry: http://www.chaatcafes.com/
I'm thinking a quick Southwest hop up to the Bay Area next weekend and a lot of Tums on the way down.
Updated 2 years ago | 0
Updated 1 year ago | 2
Updated 1 year ago | 3
Updated 6 months ago | 4
Updated 1 year ago | 6