Being relatively new to Chicago, I hadn't yet developed the bitter attitude towards the Taste that many Chicago natives have, so I thought I'd give it another shot.
I ventured to the Taste last night with my boyfriend to have some dinner, listen to some music, and enjoy the beautiful weather. The crowds weren't too bad. I never had to wait long for food.
Here's a list of what we sampled:
* cajun aligator from grizzlys - tasted like chicken, and had weird bits of fat or something in it...it's supposed to come on a stick, but the portion we had was so shredded that they just placed the stick on top.
* flame-grilled chicken from el pollo loco - wasn't too bad, but it was a back piece, it would have been great had it been white meat
* jerk chicken with red beans & rice from vee vee's - the chicken was too fatty and a bit chewy. the red beans & rice were tasty though.
* a piece of eli's chocolate cheesecake - delicious, of course
* puerto rican steak & onion sandwich on sweet bread from sobo latino - this was the most promising dish. the meat was really fatty and tough, but the onions and sweetbread kind-of made up for that.
* mustard-fried catfish from bj's - not bad, had some nice spices to it and not overwhelmingly greasy
* shrimp-fried rice from tipans thai cusine - very bland, but the dumplings looked really good. at this point, i was almost out of tickets, so i had to settle for the taste portion.
* hot fudge sundae from zephyr - great hot fudge! i could have just had a cup of that and i spoon. :)
the food was alright for what it was - low quality, cheap, mass-processed food. i certainly wasn't expecting anything gourmet. my biggest problem with the taste was the crowd. i saw so many women with their bellies giggling over the top of their pants that it was hard to keep up my appetite. plus, i had so many people bump into me, cut me off, or stop directly infront of me that i felt like i was in bad rush hour traffic.
I'd much rather spend my money & time dining al fresco at any one of Chicago's fine restaurants where I'll actually be able to SIT and eat GOOD food. I won't be going back to the Taste.
Updated 2 years ago | 8
Updated 1 year ago | 3
Updated 1 year ago | 2
Updated 10 hours ago | 27
Updated 6 days ago | 24