Home Cooking

Stupid question of the day - spicy dish "over reduced" WAY TOO SPICY

Share:

Home Cooking 13

Stupid question of the day - spicy dish "over reduced" WAY TOO SPICY

fldhkybnva | Nov 6, 2012 02:47 PM

On busy nights, might SO and I often throw some ground meat in a skillet with other random items around the house for a quick meal. A favorite is ground beef with mushrooms, blue cheese and Frank's Red Hot Sauce. I usually cook the beef and mushrooms separately, add Frank's, let simmer for a bit and top with blue cheese on the plate. We both find it addicting for some reason - less messy version of buffalo wings I guess. Tonight, when we were both 5 or so bites in, immediately needed a glass of milk or a rescue fire hose. It was spicier than ever and literally inedible. We both struggled to get through but the burn was too much. We have made this "dish" nearly hundreds of times and it's never been so bad. My only thought is that in my business tonight, I let the dish simmer a bit too long and the liquid evaporated leaving a higher concentration of capsaicin. It's probably a dumb question but does this make sense. As in, if you boil a spicy chili longer than usual and reduce it more, I imagine it will be spicier? Thanks, and we delightfully enjoyed delivery pizza instead. Any solutions for if this happens in the future?

Want to stay up to date with this post?