We're frequently asked for permission to post about opportunities for Chowhounds to help with projects, and we've always declined them because of our strict guidelines against self-promotion. But some of those opportunities are pretty cool—stuff like casting calls for food TV shows, journalist requests for interview subjects, and contest announcements—and we do think that hounds would like to know about them.
So we've created a sticky thread on the General Topics board called "Chowhounds Wanted" (link: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/855725 ) as a single place on the site where people can post those things.
This is an experiment, and we'll see what kinds of posts are made, and make adjustments along the way. But as a starting point, we'd anticipate people posting:
1) Journalist requests for story subjects/interviews
2) Announcements about academic research projects/surveys
3) Casting calls
4) Consumer surveys on food related products and issues
5) Requests for feedback on a work-in-progress webpage/idea
6) Announcements about contests
We would not allow:
1) Anything that involves solicitation of money, even for charitable purposes
2) Petitions and/or boycott announcements
3) Events that are only of local interest to a certain city
4) Direct promotion of any product, webpage, or idea (i.e. selling to Chowhounds
)5) Posts that are not strongly focused on food
These announcements are likely to have a commercial angle, for example, a contest sponsored by a particular brand, but they shouldn't be entirely promotional. It isn't a place to post advertisements. As a rule of thumb, there should be no cost to hounds to participate in the project -- not to buy a product, purchase tickets or pay an entry fee. Announcements should also be specific to food and of a broad geographic interest.
If you have any questions or comments about this new thread, please do ask.