SEA Steak subs:
I've recently sampled all the steak subs I could find in the area. I am looking for the sandwiches that I like best, and I am not attempting to duplicate Philly style because I don't particularly think that is a desirable goal. However, a good Philly cheese steak is fine. My order is "steak & onions & cheese". Each place was visited once, so if different preparers make different sandwiches, I would not have determined that.
Two were tied for "best":
1. Tat's 115 Occidental Ave S, Pioneer Sq.
1. Phillys Best at East 23rd Avenue & East Union St
They are different, you might prefer one. Tat's a better "steak" taste and higher overall quality, but a tad bland, Philly's Best more of a wallop, by being greasy and salty. Both very good. Tat's has those stupid little packaged cakes that people from Philly yearn for, and they also do the big messy pile of fries and cheese. Philly's Best has good single-serve sweet potato pies, and they seem to offer up some big greasy sides as well, though i wasn't really paying attention to them.
3. Dan's All-American Philly Cheese Steak, located in the All American Sports Bar 4333 University. nothing wild, but pretty ok.
Finally, not good enough
4. Philadelphia Fevre, Madison Park, 2332 E. Madison Ave. at the corner of John. Smallish, ok greasy flavor, but too-thin steak overcooked to dry.
5. Elo's: they just don't get it. nothing taste, nothing going on.
Now, I don't really pay attention to how much a sub costs so this is not definitive, but I remember thinking at Philly Fevre "wow, small and expensive", and a few blocks away, Philly's Best was "stuffed big and cheap".
I have not yet driven to Meconis in Lacey (almost to Tacoma)
Updated 1 year ago | 10
Updated 1 year ago | 1
Updated 1 year ago | 3
Updated 5 days ago | 67
Updated 9 days ago | 86