My hubby and I will be staying in Glen Ellen in December. We've stayed in Sonoma before (a while back) and been to some of the larger, more touristy wineries. Now that we're a little older, wiser, and know a little more about what kind of wine we like, we're looking forward to trying some other wineries.
Since we'll be there for 4 days, we can probably drive to some farther wineries for a couple of the days, but we want to make sure we are efficient about it and get the most out of the farther drives.
To give you a gauge of our preferences:
- We mainly like red wines: Cabs, Zins, Bordeaux blends, Rhone blends, and the occasional Pinot. Hubby likes "big cabs" in particular (some of his favorite wines are 100% cab).
- We are big fans of Ridge and part of their wine club so we will most likely likely be taking the trek up to Healdsburg. Are there any other notable wineries in that area that we should visit?
- Would like to visit at least 1-2 sparkling houses. Would probably visit Iron Horse, but since it is quite far, wondering if there are any other wineries near the area worth visiting.
- Though we usually like "big" wines, we wouldn't mind visiting a couple places noted for Pinot, to have some variety. Some Pinots I've enjoyed before are Flowers (way too far) and Goldeneye (been there already). Any recommendations?
- Would like to visit a few small, family wineries that offer a great tasting experience. When we were in Napa last summer we really enjoyed Hendry Vineyards so something similar in the Sonoma area would be great.
- Of course, any wineries close to or in Glen Ellen would also be appreciated, for when we need to take a break from all the driving