One of the under-rated food centres in Singapore - one of my aunts said she'd rate Bendemeer higher than Old Airport Road, given the number of good stalls she patronize here. Some of her regular haunts and personal favourites:
- Stall #01-73 Totally Coffee. The Hainanese lady here brews a mean cuppa: thick, aromatic, full-bodied, slightly sweetened - the way Singaporeans love their morning coffee.
- Stall #01-76 Indian Muslim Food. Come here early for their crisp dosas. But the chap who runs this stall also flips up a delicious roti prata, served with a side-dish of either fish curry or vegetarian dhal curry. He's been doing this for 47 years!
- Stall #01-50 Fishball Noodle. This generically-named stall is perhaps the most popular here amongst the local Bendemeer crowd - not a surprise since this is a typically Teochew dish, sold in an area with a high level of Teochew populace. BTW, there are two old Teochew restaurants in the same neighborhood barely 200 metres from the food centre: Liang Kee and Yuanxing Chaozhou.
- Stall #01-32 Eat May Know. This stall produces some of the best "you-tiao" (crisp Chinese cruller) and other tasty deep-fried morsels ranging from sesame-coated and mung bean-filled "jin deui" pastry balls, to flat "hum chim peng" with mashed red bean filling. Everything's delicious, and so sinful!
- Stall #01-32 Zhen Ji. One of the most popular stalls in this food centre - this one churns out another Teochew favourite: minced pork noodles. Waiting time at this stall ranges from 20 minutes during off-peak periods, to a stultifying 1.5 hours during lunch-time (?!)
Bendemeer Market & Food Centre
Block 29, Bendemeer Road
Updated 2 years ago | 8
Updated 1 year ago | 14
Updated 2 years ago | 10
Updated 2 years ago | 11
Updated 1 year ago | 11