I was wrong when, a few back, i thought Taste Paradise was just one of those independent little restaurants which may not be able to match up to the big boys (e.g. Crystal Jade, Imperial Treasure & Tung Lok chains). Today, the Taste Group folks have proven that they are here to stay, and have actually built themselves up to be a well-regarded restaurant chain which offers good food, and do it consistently. And nowhere was this more evident than at the Taste Group's flagship store - Taste Paradise at ION Orchard.
Our dinner there last weekend consisted of:
- Roasted whole suckling pig, with fabulously crispy skin, served on steamed little pancakes;
- A pair of batter-fried prawns coated with curry-flavored and wasabi-flavored mayonnaise;
- Braised whole comb sharksfin with chicken. This, I would say, was the piece de resistance of the evening - and Taste Paradise do their fins so very well;
- Braised abalone with mushrooms and broccoli in oyster-flavoreds sauce. Full of flavor, with the abalone perfectly-cooked to a fine yielding almost yielding texture;
- Steamed coral trout in superior soysauce. The steamed fish were perfectly timed here;
- Char-grilled pork-ribs in plum sauce - this was the surprise of the evening. We actually substituted this for the beef-ribs in the set (for 10 pax) menu as many (Singaporean) friends were Buddhists and won't touch beef. The pork-ribs were absolutely divine!
- Braised ee-fu noodles with mushrooms and yellow chives - the obligatory noodle course to formally end the meal (before the dessert). I'm not a big fan of this simpe dish, where noodle enthusiasts marvelled over the texture of the noodles, unencumbered by seafood or meats (call me a glutton, but I rather *prefer* having my noodles obliterated by their meat-toppings);
- The the dessert course lifted me up: double-boiled hasima (snow-frog's glands) with red dates. Ah, manna from heaven!
I'd never been disappointed in any meal I'd had at Taste Paradise, and this evening was certainly no exception ;-)
2 Orchard Turn
#04-07 ION Orchard
Tel: +65-6509 9660