Am staying in Tokyo in Shirokane in late March for one week. I know pretty much nothing about Japanese food and culture and am a little alarmed by the number of people ( most of whom have never been there either, it must be said ) telling me I wont have a clue where /what to eat and indeed what I am eating. These naysayers suggest I will end up in an 'instantly recognisable' burger chain so that I get to eat food I recgonise with guaranteed toliet facilities !
I know this must all be complete rubbish but would massively appreciate any help on
- japanes food - beginner's guide and do's and dont's
- where to go for breakfast, lunch, dinner and how much will it cost / budget
- what the Japanese are likely to be eating, and where
- how lost will I be without speaking the languauge at all ? - particularly in terms of finding places and understanding the menu !
- is where I am staying home to any particularly good places ?
- are there any ' do not miss' experiences ?
- what will my safe bet or safe haven be if I am wandering around on my own during the day ?
- is going to the fish market ( Shinkuju ?) as good as it is cracked up to be and what should I eat as a sushi novice !?
Any help you can give on this would be massively appreciated - happy to provide more info if this is all too vague nad happy to reciprocate with frank views on Liverpool food if any of you are visting us in our European capital of culture year !
Updated 1 year ago | 2
Updated 4 days ago | 31
Updated 12 days ago | 38
Updated 1 day ago | 15
Updated 16 hours ago | 85