Not About Food

Scallops & bad reaction

Share:

Not About Food 23

Scallops & bad reaction

thymeoz | Jun 22, 2012 12:11 PM

When I was a very young kid scallops were one of my favorite foods. Then I got severely sick from them on two occasions and concluded I was allergic and stopped eating them. My dad also thought he was allergic to scallops.

Then I read somewhere that one can get really sick from undercooked scallops. Wondering if that was the real issue (because I can eat any other type of shellfish), I purchased one scallop, cooked it well done, ate it and was fine! Then last weekend I got a pu pu platter with scallops and was able to eat them without problem, too. So I plan to continue eating them, barring any problems.

Just wondering if anyone has any insight on this? I guess I'm wondering if maybe I'm unusually sensitive to lightly cooked scallops, which would mean avoiding them when eating out.

Want to stay up to date with this post?

Recommended From Chowhound