My wife and I are planning a trip to San Diego in the next few weeks. Since I'm a chef, I can get Sunday-Monday off, so we're looking at Sunday arrival, Tuesday AM departure. What are the can't miss food and drink places in San Diego? A few qualifications:
1. Assume money is no object. At least one night we're hoping for the best of the best food-wise. We've hit most of the best in Los Angeles, and many across the country, but we're interested in what San Diego has to offer.
2. We prefer contemporary "american" (whatever that means) food. Meaning ethnic food is great (and we'd LOVE recs for lunches, or a second dinner that include that), but my personal preference is for fresh, well prepared, preferably interesting food. That said, refer to point 1 - best of the best for at least one meal.
3. We're also looking for a great bar that can make fantastic cocktails. In LA we're fans of places like The Varnish, Library Bar, love a great classic cocktail list. Modern variations are great too, as long as balance and quality is on point.
4. Where should we stay? Obviously, with food and drink involved, we'd prefer not to be driving all that much. Is there a place to stay within walking distance of both? Are cabs relatively easy to come by?
5. We'd love great suggestions for things to do during the day. We're definitely game to walk around, especially if the weather is nice, and though museums aren't really our "thing," any great suggestions are worth it.
Updated 14 hours ago | 70
Updated 23 days ago | 24
Updated 14 days ago | 28
Updated 6 days ago | 152
Updated 4 days ago | 22