Review - Amazing 66 (66 Mott St, 212 334 0099)
We had dinner here last week - it was pretty good but quite a bit of a wait and very crowded and extremely noisy. We brought a flabby Auslese with us and had
* dumplings - ok, salty broth, not steamed, seemed boiled
* beef with turnip casserole - lots of gelatinous beef parts and mushy turnips. interesting to try once, but i would not get it again. looked like the odd bits leftover from a slaughterhouse!
* chicken in black bean sauce - very good - well balanced flavours - not that greasy either
* peking pork - excellent, crispy and great sauce. very hard to just eat one or two pieces.
* duck in 8 special - pretty good with a broad spectrum of things on top (scallops, squid, shirmp etc) with braised duck underneath.
* vegetable fried rice - about what you would expect
I liked it and thanks for the recco, BrianS, but I'll probably keep exploring Chinatown rather than come back to this one. It was good value - the four of us pigged out with tons of leftovers for $100 all in. They do seem to include service in the bill.