Just back from a quick 4 day trip with the family over school break. We had some excellent meals at restaurants that happily accommodated one family member who eats gluten free.
1. Zadin. Vietnamese food in the Castro. The appetizers and soups were especially memorable. Great beer list (including gluten free beer), and very friendly and knowledgeable service. It has developed a reputation as a celiac-friendly restaurant (gluten free menu items are marked, but ask your waiter because most things can be altered, too).
2. Bar Crudo. Small fish restaurant on Divisadero near the Castro. It gets packed so make a reservation. Most menu items are, or can be made, gluten free. Very clever, original dishes (i.e. raw fish marinated in vanilla -- much better than it sounds!). Possibly the best beer list of any restaurant I've eaten at. Somewhat loud and cramped but worth braving the crowd for the unique food.
3. The Dining Room at the Ritz Carlton. This was the splurge of the trip. Worth every penny. Highly original Asian-inspired French food, outstanding service. We ordered the tasting menu and if there was an item that wasn't gluten free they would slightly adapt it for our gluten free eater, while serving the rest of us the original version. Very impressive how they were able to swap out certain sauces and ingredients on the fly.
4. Greens Restaurant. Right by Fort Mason on the water. It was a long wait for a table so we went with a take out lunch. As an organic vegetarian restaurant there were many gluten free options. Ate some great soup, chili, and sandwiches.
5. We went to Marin for a day trip and ate lunch in Mill Valley at Harmony Restaurant. Terrific Chinese meal with an especially interesting and large dim sum menu. Lots of gluten free options and very knowledgeable service.
800 Redwood Hwy, Mill Valley, CA 94941
4039 18th Street, San Francisco, CA 94114
The Dining Room at The Ritz-Carlton
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94108
Bld. A, Fort Mason, San Francisco, CA 94123
Updated 6 months ago | 1
Updated 2 days ago | 9
Updated 10 days ago | 22
Updated 27 days ago | 25
Updated 1 day ago | 10