A planned trip fell through this weekend (steam train to Milwaukee, but the tracks are still under 40" of water). Instead of moping, we decided to play tourists at home. Forget museums, lakes, and parks - to us, this means FOOD!
We focused on places that we've never tried before, and did quite well, food-wise. Plus, our cats were pleased that they still got fed at their usual times.
Here's what we tried:
- Korea House. I can't believe that I've never been here before! (I live a mile away.) But I'll be back often. Good cellophane noodles with beef and vegetables (lunch special #3). I can't wait to try the grilled mackerel and other fish dishes.
- Bangkok Thai Deli. WOW! (Reported here: http://www.chowhound.com/topics/52557... .)
- Rotisseria. DOUBLE WOW! (Reported here: http://www.chowhound.com/topics/531960 .)
- Scandia Cafe in Scandia, MN. On the way to our replacement train trip (Osceola to Marine-on-St-Croix), we stopped at this cute small-down diner. Tasty turkey dinner, but the gravy was too salty and the stuffing was boring. (Carol's in Blaine is much better.) But it was worth the drive for their strawberry pie.
- Smalley's in Stillwater. Good stuff, especially the jerk chicken and the blackberry mojito. (Reported here: http://www.chowhound.com/topics/52408... .)
- Izzy's - We went twice :-). The first time, had blueberry ice cream (yum!) with a lemon custard izzy. The next day, we tried to use a 2-for-1 gelato coupon at a Grand Ave coffee house that doesn't have gelato any more. We were so sad that only Izzy's could comfort us. I had kalamansi sorbet (tart & unusual) with a coconut izzy (their coconut isn't my favorite, but it went well with the yummy sorbet).
Other places I'd go to if I were playing tourist again:
- Midtown Global Market (of course)
- El Mercado Central and/or a Lake Street taqueria
- Mill City Market (for those spice mini doughnuts) or St. Paul Farmer's Market
- A casual/upscale board favorite, like 112 Eatery, Saffron, Ngon, Bon Xai, or Birchwood
- Heartland Wine Bar
- A University Ave Pho joint (but I go to these places all the time...)
Where would other locals go to play (food) tourist in MSP?
Updated 1 year ago | 4
Updated 8 months ago | 11
Updated 6 months ago | 20
Updated 1 year ago | 24
Updated 3 months ago | 0