I'm taking my girlfriend for dinner this week who has a longing love affair with all things Spain and the basque country after several trips abroad. I promised her a meal at Pintxo and it's surprisingly my first-time as well as hers (she's from out of town) and I was just wondering how feasible it would be to share dishes, or whether the pintxos are really too small for that?
I'm also looking for suggestions and feedback based on my selections below. From what I've read in reviews, I think we'll probably end up skipping the entrees and just order about 15 or so pintxos from the a la carte menu with a good cheap Spanish wine.
Here's what I've taken note of...
- octopus carpaccio with cava vinegar
- dual of fresh marinated crab and shrimp with pepper
- duo of scallops on black olive tapenade
- seared calamari with onion confit
- garlic shrimp on roasted pepper
- quintet of grilled vegetables
- stuffed figue with serrano ham and mahon cheese
- half quail on a bed of pasta with smoked ham and pine nuts
- goat cheese ravioli with duck stew
- mushrooms stuffed with duck confit
- sauteed wild mushrooms and snails with persley oil
- plate of carried of spanish cheeses (main)
I've seen a flickr set with photos of the rare sliced duck on risotto and it looked amazing but all the reviews I've read seem to hint at avoiding the main courses. I think we should do alright with the above choices... I'm just curious how filling this would be for two people and whether it would realistically be possible to share such small portions? To me, that's the whole appeal of a tapas place is that you can order so many small dishes to sample.
Also someone recently posted a review in which they mentioned the prices were inflated about 50% over what's currently listed on the website's menu, which avergaes about $6 per pintxo. Can anyone confirm? The difference between spending $100 and $200 on dinner for two is quite significant... Thanks!