The 2008 5x5 Chef's Collaborative dinner series kicked off at Providence Monday night. This is the second year of the dinners, and this year, the five participating LA chefs are:
Gino Angelini (La Terza, Angelini Osteria)
Michael Cimarusti (Providence)
Josiah Citrin (Melisse)
David Lefevre (Water Grill)
Walter Manzke (ex-Bastide)
Basically, each chef (and one guest chef) gets to prepare one dish as part of a collaborative multi-course meal. Here's the complete 2008 schedule:
• Monday, May 19 at Providence (guest chef David Kinch of Manresa, Los Gatos, CA)
• Tuesday, June 17 at Bastide (guest chef Gabriel Kreuther of The Modern, New York, NY) (Note: I have heard that due to Manzke's departure from Bastide, this dinner will no longer be happening, which is a shame)
• Monday, July 7 at Melisse (guest chef Douglas Keane of Cyrus, Healdsburg, CA)
• Sunday, August 31 at Water Grill (guest chef Giuseppe Tentori of Boka, Chicago, IL)
• Monday, September 22 at La Terza (guest chef Alain Giraud of Anisette, Los Angeles, CA)
I think it's a pretty unique experience to get a group of chefs of this caliber in the kitchen together, and I plan on attending the entire series.
The menu at Providence in brief:
1: Amuse Bouche [by Michael Cimarusti of Providence]
2: Crispy Mussels perfumed with Nasturtium, Vegetables in Exotic Spice [by David Kinch of Manresa]
3: Southern Australian Rock Lobster, Inaniwa Udon Noodles, Dashi-Konbu Broth [by Walter Manzke formerly of Bastide]
4: Turbot with Morels, Basil Scented Pea Purée, Rabbit Leg Confit and Anson Mills White Corn Strewn Grits [by David Lefevre of Water Grill]
5: Agnolotti di Ossobuco, Salsa Parmigiano [by Gino Angelini of La Terza and Angelina Osteria]
6: Filet of Beef "Wellington", King Oyster Mushroom, Potato Boulangère, Watercress Mousseline [by Josiah Citrin of Melisse]
7: Harry's Berries Gaviota Strawberries, Red Bean Purée, Shiso, Black Sesame-Soy Milk Ice Cream [by Adrian Vasquez of Providence]
Overall, I was rather impressed with my meal, as I felt each dish was able to really express the chef's style and personality. But at the same time, care was clearly taken to make the dishes flow and complement each other.
Did anyone else attend? Thoughts?
Full report with photos and details here: http://www.kevineats.com/2008/05/prov...
Updated 1 year ago | 0
Updated 2 years ago | 5
Updated 1 year ago | 33
Updated 13 hours ago | 30
Updated 10 days ago | 36