My husband and I are graduating from our Ph.D.s this May. It took almost a decade, so this needs to be a good meal! There are some restrictions when choosing the place, however:
- We are a group of 12, and obviously need reservations. This will be on a Friday.
- 2 of those are kids. I’m trying to convince my sister this is a really bad idea, so hopefully once we locate a baby sitter we’ll be 10.
- Although I won’t choose the place according to the kids taste, it would be good if there is something they recognize (no need for kid menu, though)
- Because of kids, and because these is a pretty loud group, I would rather stay away from places that are too formal.
- My in-laws will be paying; which is good for obvious reasons, but bad because we’ll feel guilty if it is too expensive. So we are trying to stick to places that have significant number of entrees in the twenties. This law can be broken if need be.
- We must stay in Manhattan
- While this is a group that really enjoys food, too funky will be a turn-off. So no WD-50.
- I’m pregnant, so no sushi.
Places that we have considered: Balthazar, but they enforce a set menu for groups that big; Union Square Café and Craft don’t sit groups that big.
I'll be very grateful for your help!