I planned to meet a friend for dinner at The Pearl Oyster Bar when as luck would have it, that darned blackout took place! I was honestly disappointed as after reading all the positive reviews I've heard about Pearl, my mouth was salivating that entire day in anticipation.
Well, last night I finally had the chance to get over to Pearl, and I can honestly say it was a major disappointment.
Here's a review of the courses:
* Raw Oysters -- delicious. Fresh and sweet.
* Fried Oysters -- very good, although they could have been hotter.
* Mussels -- delicious. The mustard cream sauce is just right for some major bread dipping!
* Bouillabaisse -- OK. This is where I really need to take issue. All 4 of us at our table ordered the bouillabaisse, as it has been ranked as amongst the best in the city. While the review in New York Magazine states that the portions are generous, it seemed more like an appetizer than a main course to me. While I am fine that Pearl uses a lobster broth vs. a more classic tomato based broth, there was hardly any broth at all. On top of that, there was quite a bit of sand in the clams. Really a HUGE disappointment for me.
* French fries -- super thin cut, which I happen to like. However, these too could have been hotter when brought to the table.
* Blueberry crumble pie -- really delicious.
I should note that I found the service to be a delight. Our waitress was terrific, and I don't blame her for some of the food not being hot. We waited for nothing. Matter-of-fact, one complaint about the service that I do have is that it is rather rushed. Zero time between courses.
Updated 4 days ago | 24
Updated 5 hours ago | 52
Updated 5 days ago | 81
Updated 4 days ago | 33
Updated 5 days ago | 35